Saturday, June 09, 2012

Choosing a fundraising site


I really want to make the most of any money I raise during my challenge, so I've given careful thought to how to do my fundraising.

A fundraising website is most probably the best way to do it. Here's the boring maths bit (feel free to skip and just be reassured that I've done some research)...

I looked at Virgin Money Giving - a not-for profit organisation, which takes 2% in charges and results in a £12.15 going to the nominated charity for every £10 donated (with Gift Aid).
I also looked at Just Giving - which takes 5% and £11.74 goes to the nominated charity for every £10 donated (with Gift Aid).
So Virgin Money Giving wins, right? Nope.
My charity, Smile Train UK, is not a member of Virgin Money Giving, but another similar charity, Operation Smile UK, is. They basically do the same thing - providing free corrective surgery for children with cleft lip and palate in developing countries. They were once the same organisation, but Smile Train separated from Operation Smile in 2009 for good reasons and OS, from what I can gather from reading the financial information, spends a larger percentage of its cash on running costs than ST.
So I've decided on Just Giving. And Smile Train.... and I'll post the link here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment