Sunday, June 24, 2012

Smile Train fundraising pack has arrived

My charity - Smile Train - has sent me a nice fundraising pack with some leaflets, booklets, posters, DVDs and a T-shirt.
When I get back I´ll post some of that stuff up here to give a better idea of the work they do and why it´s so important to me to make a big effort to support them... and why I´d love you to support me in doing that.
I watched the DVD - Smile Pinki - the other day.
It´s about a five-year-old girl from a village in the Mirzapur District, India, born with a cleft lip into a desperately poor family, and how Smile Train´s work helps to transform her life. It won an Oscar for Best Short Documentary in 2009 and is well worth a watch because it really demonstrates how cleft lip and palates affect children and their families in a society very different from ours.
The lack of awareness, the attitudes and experiences, not to mention the level of healthcare and opportunity, are world away from everything I experienced growing up with exactly the same thing as some of these children.
It is beyond belief the social isolation and stigmatisation these children - and adults - have to face because they have a facial deformity that is so simple to correct with the right skills and funding. It´s something that has never held me back and I would like to give others a tiny bit of the opportunity I have had.
Anyway, here´s a little bit of the film.
If you´re interested in watching the whole thing, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment