Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 293: Highs and lows on a big Sunday run

RUN: 13.1 miles

Today I intended to run 18 miles - the same route I did on Day 251, but the other way round.
There was a long slog of a hill on the way back, so the other way round seemed a good solution.

Running along, mulling over why things don't seem to be going well with only six weeks to go until marathon day, I realised my problem is with confidence more than anything else.
So I decided that redoing last weekend's half marathon route better than I did it before would give me more confidence than struggling through 18 miles.

Just 13 miles wasn't easy, though, and I seemed to suffer a lack of energy for some reason, even though I had energy gels and jelly babies with me. So I have resolved to treat myself a bit better, eat more food, good food, get more sleep and drink more water.

Near the end of the run I had to tackle Hollins Hill - a one-mile distance with a 250ft climb. At the bottom I told myself if I could make it to the top without stopping, I could do the marathon. So I did.
The feeling when I got to the top was fantastic. I hope I feel so elated when I finish the marathon.

Here's today's run - see the big hill near at the end?


No comments:

Post a Comment