Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 181: Into the gym for an early Christmas 'treat'

RUN: 6.2 miles (10.04km)

This morning the rain was incessant. This afternoon the rain was incessant.
I had been hoping to do a longer run today after being rather stuck for time and having had to squeeze in some woefully short runs of late. So after 180 days of resisting the lure of the cosy gym, I finally gave in.

As an early christmas present to myself, I took to the treadmill in the gym. I wanted to make it count, so I aimed for 10k, which I ran on the street in less than an hour a few weeks ago.

The treadmill wasn't quite the 'holiday' I'd imagined - I must admit it was pretty difficult.
Compared to outside, the gym was very warm... too warm. I couldn't work the TV on the treadmill, so spent about 40 minutes staring at a wall, a blank screen and the digital display, watching the time and the metres sloooowly tick up. All the while I was surprised how much I wished to be back outside.
Towards the end, things brightened up a bit when I worked out how to get the TV back on, so I had a bit of a distraction for the final few minutes.

 
The treadmill shuts off after an hour. As you can see from the photos above, the first 9.07km took me the hour, plus all but nine seconds of the five-minute 'cool-down'. Then the 0.97km took seven minutes. A poor performance.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the gym! I shall not be back in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment