Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 249: Changing my mind about the gym

RUN: 1.2 miles (1.99km)

With my mileage suitably raised during these past few weeks of marathon training, I have noticed a lot more little niggling injuries sneaking in. There is always something giving me pain or not quite working right.

So I have taken another look at the gym. Rather than it being a bit of a cop out to go and use the treadmill when the pavements are dangerously snowy or icy, I might actually benefit from going to do a bit of strength work.

Today I did 1.99km (I did go to 2km but took the photo a few seconds early!), then concentrated my efforts on doing a few weight exercises to help build my strength.

I ran ten minutes of speed intervals (which apparently helps to build fitness by raising and lowering heart rate). I did one minute intervals of 9kmph and 11kmph.

 
Among other things I also used the leg press - apparently good for stability and strengthening quads and glutes!

So from now on I think I'll  make this a weekly trip. The gym is not my favourite place to go, but if it helps me complete my challenge and do the marathon, then gym here I come...


No comments:

Post a Comment