Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Day 44: Running and reading (sort of)...

RUN: 2.1 miles

...Well more like being read to actually. For today's run I decided to experiment with my choice of audio motivation, rather than the usual iPod shuffle. I downloaded an audio book (One Day by David Nicholls) and put it on the iPod for my run.


I'm not convinced that running to books is the way to go, but I think I'll stick with it for the rest of this book. I've got another two hours 15 mins to go, so it will last me a good few runs.
On the positive side, it help to alleviate the boredom of running. It can't be denied that jogging is often a battle against the boredom rather than the body. So a book being read to you does give you something to focus on and takes the mind off any negative thoughts (ie I want to stop).
However, normally it's just me and the pavement and my thoughts, mind wandering, thinking things through, thinking of anything and everything. But if you let your mind wander while listening to a story, you obviously end up missing bits. Also, when the MapMyRun lady reads out my time and pace etc every five minutes through my headphones, my book gets faded down and I miss another bit of the story.

I'll let you know how the 'reading' goes, but tonight I just did a couple of miles. I'm trying to strike a balance between doing enough miles and not 'overdoing it'. So just 2.1 tonight - here's the map and info.

No comments:

Post a Comment